In one month, we will see you in Chattanooga, Tennessee, for the 2014 Joint Meeting of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists. With the meeting approaching quickly, we would like to take this opportunity to address a few meeting-related items.
1) If you are an oral presenter, please review the information on the web site under “Presentation Information” at http://www.dce.k-state.edu/conf/jointmeeting/presenters. It provides instructions on how to prepare and save your presentation and what equipment and software is available at the Chattanooga Convention Center. Please contact Heide Burke at email@example.com if you have any additional questions.
2) If you are a poster presenter, please review the information for poster presentations on the web site under “Presentation Information.” It provides information and guidelines for presentations. Set up is from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on the day of your presentation. Please have your poster up by noon to give time for attendees to view it before the scheduled poster session. Your poster should be removed immediately after your presentation at 6:00 p.m. You will need to bring your own pins to hang on the boards. Please contact Heide Burke at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any additional questions.
3) If you have not made your hotel reservation, we encourage you to do so right away. The blocks of rooms at the Days Inn Rivergate and the Chattanooga Marriott are full, but rooms are still available at the Sheraton Read House Hotel. The deadline to secure the group room rate at the Sheraton is Wednesday, July 9. Instructions for making your reservation can be found at http://www.dce.k-state.edu/conf/jointmeeting/accommodations.
If you are interested in finding a roommate to share hotel costs, the “Find a Roommate” message board is located at www.dce.k-state.edu/conf/jointmeeting. To ensure the security of your information, the site is password protected.
After clicking “Find a Roommate” link on the left navigation, simply enter the following information to access the message board and search for potential roommates:
Username – jointmeeting
Password – jmih
4) We're excited to be offering a mobile event guide to attendees featuring speaker information, session schedules, and much more! Best of all, it’s accessible from all devices with an internet browser: smartphones, tablets, laptops, and even desktops. Attendees who have already been added to the app should have received an e-mail from JMIH2014 asking you to update your profile. You can click on the “Edit My Profile” button within that e-mail. You can also go to http://eventmobi.com/JMIH2014 on your mobile browser to instantly access the mobile event guide! Instructions on how to save the site to your mobile device is located on the home page of the meeting website at http://www.dce.k-state.edu/conf/jointmeeting/.
5) Remember to support your society and graduate students: AES will run its annual AES Store. Proceeds from the AES Store help fund student travel. The AES store will be located in Meeting Room 2 in the Chattanooga Convention Center at this year's annual meeting. The store will be open during meeting hours (8am-5pm) from July 31 – August 3 (the AES Banquet will be on August 3). Please drop by to check out the merchandise, as well as AES auction items. Remember - purchases at the AES store support travel awards for students so pick up some AES gear and help out.
ASIH will conduct their annual book raffle to raise funds for graduate student travel awards. Tickets may be purchased during the Joint Meeting at the book raffle tables located in the Lobby of the Chattanooga Convention Center, with the funds going directly toward student travel awards for 2014.
The SSAR Silent Auction and the HL/SSAR Live Auction is an opportunity to support the programs of SSAR and HL and to clean out your office or house of those interesting and valuable herp related items. Any herp related item - including books, art, sculptures, famous autographs, field equipment, or clothing - is appreciated. Please note that items made from amphibians, reptiles, or parts thereof, should NOT be donated. Donations are tax deductible. Receipts will be issued on request (please request receipt at time of donation). Live Auction items will be available for viewing in Meeting Room 3 in the Chattanooga Convention Center. Silent Auction items will be available for viewing in the Lobby near the meeting registration desk. If you are interested in donating to the Live Auction, please contact Greg Watkins-Colwell at email@example.com for more information. Please have the shipments for the Auctions addressed to:
Tennessee Aquarium Conservation Institute
201 Chestnut St.
Chattanooga, TN 37402
6) Tickets are still available for both the AES Banquet and the ASIH Closing Picnic. If you wish to purchase a ticket for either of these events, you may do so from the “Registration Information” link on the web site at http://www.dce.k-state.edu/conf/jointmeeting/registration.
7) If you did not prepay your registration fee, we encourage you to do so today! Paying prior to arrival, will expedite your check-in process at the meeting. If you would like to pay by phone, please feel free to contact us directly at (785) 532-5569 M-F 8 AM – 5 PM CST. To pay securely on-line via credit or debit card; Click Here .
We look forward to seeing you in Chattanooga!?
The Herpetologists’ League sponsors symposia for our annual meetings. In 2015, the HL, as part of the Joint Meetings of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists (JMIH) will convene in Reno, Nevada. The meetings are scheduled for July 15-19, 2015. Any HL member may submit a symposium proposal for this meeting. Official sponsorship by the HL allows for the scheduling and announcement of the symposium in the meeting program and registration materials. In addition, a small amount of financial support (generally a maximum of $2000) is available to sponsored symposia. Sponsorship by the HL does not guarantee financial support and symposia may be sponsored in name only or funded at a level lower than that requested by the applicants.
Interested persons should submit proposals no later than February 1, 2014 to: Mary E. White, Chair HL Symposium Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org). Electronic submissions are much preferred.
The HL President will notify Symposium Chairs of acceptance or rejection of proposals after the Board Meeting occurs at the Annual Society Meeting the year before the proposed symposium.
For more information, please contact:
Mary E. White
Department of Biological Sciences
Hammond LA 70402
The 2015 Herpetologists' League calendar -- an effort produced, and featuring photos taken, by student HL members -- is now available for purchase through our membership site. All proceeds go to support graduate student research programs, like the E.E. Williams fund. In addition to beautiful photography, the calendar includes birth dates of noted herpetologists.
The Herpetologists League is pleased to announce the impact factors for our publications.
Herpetological Monographs 2.818
These numbers represent the highest impact factors for herpetological related peer reviewed journals. If you need to get your message out about herp research and conservation please consider these fine HL publications.